Ron Paul announces new online channel
The Ron Paul Channel, focusing on "interviews with influential headliners and hard-hitting reporting," is set to stream this August. Full story
- Rand Paul aide resigns over neo-Confederate ties despite senator’s support
- Now and Later: 7/19/13
- The Morning NOW: 7/19/13
- Rand Paul defends ‘incredibly talented’ aide despite neo-Confederate ties
- All In agenda: Rand Paul’s white supremacy
- Ron Paul announces new online channel
Profile: Ron Paul
|Full name:||Ronald Ernest "Ron" Paul|
|Date of birth:||Aug 20, 1935 in Pittsburg, Pa.|
|Family:||Married to Carolyn Paul, 3 sons, 2 daughters; 18 grandchildren; 4 great-grandchildren|
|Education:||B.S. Gettysburg College (1957), M.D. Duke University (1961)|
|Resume:||Obstetrics and gynecology physician, U.S. representative (1976-77, 1979-85, 1997-present), Libertarian Party candidate for president (1988), Republican candidate for president (2008)|
Social: From the field
Profile: Ron Paul on the issues
- Jobs Paul has called for dramatic cuts in spending and taxes, and reforms to U.S. monetary policy.
- Taxes Paul would permanently extend the Bush tax cuts after they're set to expire in 2013, cut the corporate tax rate to 15%, eliminate estate and investment taxes, and allow companies to repatriate income without additional taxation.
- Budget Paul would cut $1 trillion his first year in office, in part by eliminating five cabinet agencies, and eliminating 10% of the entire federal workforce.
- Regulations Not available
- Entitlement programs Paul wants to block grant Medicaid and other welfare programs to states, and allow young Americans to opt out of Social Security.
- Health care reform Paul has pledged to repeal President Obama's health care law and institute his own reforms. Paul favors allowing the purchase of health insurance across state lines, providing tax credits and deductions for all medical expenses, making all Americans eligible for health savings accounts, and prevent the federal government from tracking citizens' medical history.
- Foreign policy Paul supports removing U.S. troops from Iraq and Afghanistan, and has said he would seek explicit authorization from Congress before waging any kind of attack. He also facors eliminating foreign aid.
- Immigration Paul has called for securing the border with Mexico, but opposes a border fence between the two nations. He opposes amnesty and the provision of benefits for illegal immigrants.
- Energy/Environment Paul would do away with restrictions on oil and gas drilling, eliminate the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and gasoline tax, and loosen restrictions on the use of coal and nuclear power.
- Abortion Paul has said he would look to "effectively repeal" the Supreme Court ruling Roe v. Wade, and pass legislation defining life as beginning at conception.
- Same-sex marriage Paul says he believes marriage is between one man and one woman, but has also said he prefers for states to decide marriage laws for themselves.
- Climate change Not available
Data: A look at the candidates through social media
The left panel shows how many posts expressed a clear opinion about the candidate the previous day. The right panel breaks down whether the opinions were positive or negative and shows the issue that was the biggest topic in each category.
Numbers may not add to 100 percent because of rounding. The margin of sampling error is reported at plus or minus 3 percentage points.
Video: Meet the Candidate: Ron Paul
A physician and twelve-term congressman from Texas, the libertarian maverick has launched his third campaign for the office of president.
- Ron Paul