Michele Bachmann - suspended campaign January 4
Republican Bachmann under congressional ethics probe
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Republican Representative Michele Bachmann is being probed by the Office of Congressional Ethics for allegedly misusing campaign funds, media reports said on Monday. Full story
- Bachmann’s CPAC lies come under scrutiny
InteractiveRepublicans protest Obama inaction on entitlements but ignore previous proposals
InteractiveRomney meets with Obama at White House lunch
InteractiveNot everyone is moving on from election loss
- Iowa's GOP governor: End the Ames straw poll
- Republican Bachmann under congressional ethics probe
Profile: Michele Bachmann
|Full name:||Michele Marie Bachmann (nee Amble)|
|Date of birth:||April 6, 1956, Waterloo, Iowa|
|Family:||Married to Marcus Bachmann, 2 sons, 3 daughters, raised 23 foster children|
|Education:||B.A. Winona State Universit (1974), J.D. Oral Roberts University (1978), LL.M., William & Mary School of Law (1986)|
|Resume:||Tax attorney (1988-93), Minnesota state senator (2001-07), U.S. representative (2007-present)|
Social: From the field
Profile: Michele Bachmann on the issues
- Jobs Bachmann's jobs plan calls for repealing President Obama's health care and Wall St. reform laws, along with cuts to tax rates and government spending, and loosened regulations, particularly on energy production.
- Taxes Bachmann has called for reducing the number of tax brackets and making the code "simpler and fairer." She opposed a two-year extension of the Bush tax cuts, in part, because she favored a permanent extension of those rates.
- Budget Bachmann opposes raising the debt ceiling under any circumstances, and was a signatory to the "Cut, Cap and Balance" pledge calling for a cap on the level of government spending, and a Balanced Budget Amendment to the Constitution.
- Regulations Not available
- Entitlement programs She has said Medicare and Social Security should be preserved for current retirees, but has called for unspecified reforms for younger Americans.
- Health care reform Bachmann has been a foremost opponent of President Obama's health care law, and has vowed to not rest until it's repealed.
- Foreign policy Bachmann was a leading critic of the U.S. airstrikes to aid rebels in Libya.
- Immigration Bachmann signed a pledge to build a two-layered fence along the whole border between the U.S. and Mexico by the end of 2013.
- Energy/Environment Bachmann pledged to get the price of gas under $2/gallon if elected. She favors new permits for oil drilling, including in the Alaska National Wildlife Refuge, and would encourage new natural gas exploration.
- Abortion Bachmann calls herself "100 percent pro-life ... from conception until natural death."
- Same-sex marriage Bachmann supports amendments to the U.S. constitution and state constitutions to ban same-sex marriage.
- Climate change Bachmann has called the notion of man-made climate change "manufactured science".
Video: Meet the Candidate: Michele Bachmann
The political life of Michele Bachmann
A look at the political life of the third-term Minnesota congresswoman who's running for the GOP nomination.
- The political life of Michele Bachmann
Political cartoonists take a look at GOP candidate Michele Bachmann.
- Michele Bachmann